View Single Post
      12-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
derekg2286
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi e90 6 spd

So it still isnt fixed I am getting a paint smell of fuel in the morning through my vents now. They replaced crank sensor and they replaced o2 sensor now. They have it again today they are starting to get pissed because they cant figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Derek,

I cleaned my vanos valves and found that there was old oil inside them that was on the verge of getting "gunky"...Im assuming thats when the problems start...(110,000 miles on the car at that point).
I
**If you do this, there are O rings you should get first. since your at the dealer all the time lately, I would pick up a set of them before you take the old ones out. Mine were fine but I replaced them anyway.....

I did not swap the valves as I was not having issues, but they are the same part.

Heres what I did:

clean the front of the engine with some wd40, or engine degreaser or whatever you think you need...I found that you have to clean the area really really well...

unplug and unbolt one vanos valve and clean the daylights out of it, inside and out....be aware of how it is oriented, how the wiring plug works, ect...

put the valve ( if youre not swapping them) back in and then do the same procedure with the other one.

you can find a DIY in the DIY section of this forum...its pretty detailed and has good pics....

NOTE: I have a 328XI with the standard motor so there may be some differences....sorry I didnt see what motor you have....

since you did everything else yourself to start with, you have ruled out many things....I applaud you for giving it your best shot before taking it to the dealer...

Since its happens at idle, and intermittently, I guess you can rule out motor mounts, tranny mounts, clutch issues or drive line parts?....

good luck with it today...

JP
Appreciate 0