02-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #42
631twentyeighteye
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I'm not advocating putting a 335 in the hands of a hormonal disaster on legs. Teenagers cannot and shouldn't be trusted to handle what was not so long ago exotic territory. If I had a 300hp RWD car when I was 18, I'd be dead by now Teenagers have poor judgment, that's a fact of life. Risk is mitigated with a random sedan that doesn't overpower them.

Now, SUV are heavy AND powerful. That means that they can accelerate quickly, but cannot handle or break accordingly. Blanket statement, if you consider a Mazda cx5, it's less of an issue. Beside the high center of gravity it is quite a safe machinery.

You just found it yourself, I see. This is a technology that should be reserved to trucks, not to passenger cars.

In my own personal opinion, learning on something with live axle's is much more rewarding then anyone would expect. the movement of the suspension is so... basically awful, cornering wise at least that you really learn to slow it down and not drive like an asshat.

Listen, i'm 19 years old, i just went through, and still am going through watching my friends get sportyish cars and ruining them shortly. My friend has 1998 Nissan sentra and he can still go 100+ because its a small light car, despite only having maybe 120 horsepower. I known of several different kids from my high school who got e46 style 328i's and totaled them because they were driving recklessly and didn't truly respect and understand the handling of their cars.

I stick with my own advice of getting him a Jeep, or some kind of smaller SUV that doesn't have quite the power like a Escalade or maybe a ram 1500 or something that you guy's imagine i'm talking about(im referencing the jeep liberty/rav4 aspect of the SUV market.

If you don't wish to go the small SUV route, at least go front wheel drive, because it's so much harder to whip a FWD sideways then it is a RWD for an inexperienced driver.

in the end, i will say it comes down to kind of kid you have. If you know he's responsible enough to handle a fairly sporty car, then i'd highly a recommend a 128i. Cheaper then a 135i, economical fuel mileage, fairly cheap maintenance(i do mine myself) and reliability. My parents would have never let me get my 1er if it hadn't been for 2~ years of incident free driving with my first car.