Thread: ODB Thefts
View Single Post
      08-19-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
mrsbutton
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320D M

ODB Thefts

I have recently got a 320d M company car (about 4 weeks ago) and had an attempted theft the night before last.

I've read up on the alarm blind spot, opening the car through the door lock (essentially it looks like the inner lock is just ground down until it opens) and then hooking up to the ODB to program a new key.

There's lots of info and discussions out there about how thieves are stealing cars using these methods, but nothing about how to fix these design flaws BMW have kindly bestowed upon us...

How can I disable the ODB in a way that will cause a sufficient delay to a potential car thief? I am simply looking for a deterrent that will (rightly or wrongly) mean that it's not MY BMW that they nick.

As this is a company car, it needs to be a reversible modification (I.e. remove a part of the ODB and keep it on me and just reconnect when required). What systems will disconnecting the ODB cause? Will it mess up the cars history and/or cause issues with servicing/troubleshooting?

Also, re the alarm blind spot, where is it and can it be fixed by adding a sensor?

I've already had one car nicked - an R32 I'd had for just 3 weeks, which was stolen by a creeper whilst I slept upstairs. Scary, inconvenient, expensive, upsetting and quite frankly something I'd rather not go through again.

Any advice is appreciated.
Any sarcastic or nasty responses are not, so don't bother.

Cheers
;-)
Appreciate 0