View Single Post
      12-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Andreuoid
Rep
Drives: Platinum Gray GLI Autobahn DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post
Moving the lock/unlock to a central position it keeps someone from reaching through your window (cracked open) and unlocking your door. Central locking is a safety issue.
I find it hard to believe that using outdated pegs and having one button for two jobs (Lock/Unlock) is BWMs way of ensuring "safety".

The VW/Audi Lock + Unlock buttons located on every door handle are far down and far away enough from a cracked-open window that you'd have a hell of a time getting to them. So I can't say I see that point.

Quote:
By requiring two pulls of the handle to unlock your door it deters them or at least gives you time to roll up your window or hit the gas.
I'm really confused by what you mean when you say "deters them" or "gives you time to roll up your window or hit gas".

The "two pulls" refers to the inside door handle, not the outside door handle which it seems like you're referring to.

As such, this concept is not in place to deter someone trying to gain access from the outside of the vehicle. It's designed so that you can Unlock your door with the first pull of the handle and Exit the car with the second.

You only have to pull the outside door handle once.

Quote:
Since the peg goes down when it's locked, it's impossible for 2 doors to be unlocked and 2 locked, since you'd need to dig it out (or suck it out if you're into that) to be able to unlock any given door without hitting the switch.
I'm afraid you are incorrect. If two passengers pull twice on their handle (as described above) they will have Unlocked their doors and exited the car leaving their respective doors Unlocked and the other two doors Locked.

Therefore you can indeed have two doors locked and two doors unlocked.

Since BWM has only one button for both Lock and Unlock, my secondary question still remains:

In the event that two doors are Locked and two doors are Unlocked, what does the system do when you press the central button? Does it Lock all doors or Unlock all doors?

I do appreciate your thoughts on why BMW chooses to continue this concept (or chooses not to innovate it, rather). Though, I'm still not convinced it's relevant in today's era of design.
Appreciate 0