05-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #60
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
As for the hood, it isn't excessively long just to be long. I'm no expert but I am not sure a V12 can fit in there, the I6 on the 35i already occupies most of the space under the hood.
Ya, I was actually referring to the Z4 GT3, which has a V8, so definitely more space than necessary for our current I6s and now those I4s!

As for the roadsters of old, I don't believe in following tradition for tradition's sake. They were limited in terms of technology and had to build things a certain way. There were no mid-engine roadsters back then, I don't think, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfx45 View Post
I also respectfully disagree here. Out of all the hardtop roadsters in this class/price range, it integrates the hardtop best in the E89. The SLK looks odd, the Lexus ISC looks terrible and so does the E93. It looks like add-on to those cars while on the E89 it looks smooth and like it actually belongs to the car. Most even mistake it my E89 for a coupe until I open up the roof then they are in awe at what they were seeing.
It looks good but the meshing between the roof and rest of the car is not perfect, like the 458 Spider (yes, obviously not in same price range but to show the std)...now that is perfect integration. Objectively-speaking, the Z4's roof does look a bit smaller than the rest of the car.

I agree that our car is the best in the price range in terms of roof integration though; the new SLK's integration looks fine also.
Appreciate 0