Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I don't get the 4cyl thing... Unless the engine is heavily built from the factory, it will deliver inferior power to a tuned N54. I suppose just to keep it from outperforming the M3?

Well I get the feeling I'm mostly alone here but I do a lot of autocross so that might explain a lot of it. I'm assuming that the new 1series M will focus extensively on weight savings. If they can take a significant amount of weight out of the car by going to a 4 cylinder while increasing efficiency I'm all for it.

I personally have the feeling that lighter weight = better sports car. In my mind cars are plenty fast these days in a straight line. I'd much rather see them address handling by reducing weight. Like I said though, I think most people are just power hungry... and there is nothing wrong with that but if you are lucky enough to drive an old e30 or e36 M3 I don't find it exactly lacking in power.

I also think you are absolutely right about it possibly over stepping the M3 if they kept a 6 cylinder in there. Lets remember that BMW is clearly a business... and they'll do whats in their best interest to build shareholder value which often means compromising their products to achieve the best monetary results.

Either way I'm stoked for a 1 series M variant with proper cooling, less weight, wider track, slightly more efficiency and a sweet 4 banger!

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0