View Single Post
      02-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #57
GreeKon
It ain't gonna suck itself
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
Being an avid competitive cyclist as well as an avid car guy I have seen both sides of this issue in spades. The only way for me to deal with douchebag motorists or cyclists is to try to be as Zen as possible. I have been hit by innattentive idiot motorists 3 times. Fortunately, I saw each collision coming and was able to react defensively enough to come away with only road rash and damaged bicycles. In each case the drivers simply didn't see me though I was clearly visible in daylight and riding legally in the bike lane with an incredibly bright daytime flasher on my bike. The first time the driver simply drove away and left me on the street screaming at her. The second time the guy jumped out of his car and started apologising immediately and took all of the blame. The third time the guy knocked me flat, got out of his car and admitted he didn't see me but tried to blame me anyway. It was tough to be Zen about that one, he did receive some (well, maybe a lot of) verbal abuse. These incidents, and other close calls make me ride with a little fear and I make sure to never provoke anyone in a car because, as has been mentioned, when it's bike versus car, bike loses every time. On the other hand, as a driver I have seen countless idiot cyclists running red lights and stop signs and when I have honked at them I usually get the finger. I can't stand it when cyclists take the lane, it may be legal but it is just effing stupid and annoying - I NEVER do that. I'll get off my bike and walk it on the sidewalk before doing that. How many times have I seen groups of cyclists spilling way out of the bike lanes forcing cars to swerve around them. They are just as oblivious as the drivers who hit me. Believe me, there are plenty of jerks on both sides of this issue and there always will be - each side has pissed me off equally. So, like I said at the beginning, Zen, a few deep breaths and an attempt to take the high road. For me, that's better (though maybe less satisfying) than a punch in the face.

Woosah

You nailed it. There are idiots from both sides...it just depends from situation to situation
Appreciate 0