View Single Post
      05-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Cobb N55 Throttle Mapping (Alpina Flash)

Has anyone successfully manipulated the throttle vs. requested torque mapping on the N55 using Cobb ATR?

On N54 cars, there are OTS maps for linear throttle and stock throttle, however on the N55, there are no such OTS maps available.

Basically, in ATR, there is a map which correlates pedal position percentage to requested torque percentage.

However, on the ATR version for the N55, the two maps in this section are slightly different.

N54 version has "Requested Torque - High" and "Requested Torque - Low" where as the N55 has "Requested Torque - Auto" and "Requested Torque - Manual" or something along those lines. Based off of this, they seem to be the same type of maps.

However, the X axis on the N55 maps is in units of "TPS %" where as the N54 versions are in units of "Pedal Position %".

The X axis being in units of "TPS %" doesn't seem to make much sense. First of all, is this the Valvetronic TPS or the throttle TPS? Valvetronic I will assume...

Second of all, wouldn't the DME be using throttle position to modify the torque anyway? If so, why would there be a map for this?

I was under the impression that the map on the N54 cars was basically a mapping of Pedal Position % versus throttle blade % (and thus inadvertently, requested torque).

But the N55 map seems to be a little different. If it truly is a map of TPS versus requested torque, how does the DME control the requested torque for a given TPS?

Also, most importantly........why does the TPS% versus Requested Torque % map only reach values of about 80% for TPS values of 100% on the N55?

In other words, the DME is only requesting 80% torque when the TPS is at 100%.

Sorry if this is a bit convoluted. My intentions are to manipulate this map in such a way that the requested torque is lower for a given pedal position percentage. This is to try and make the D mode of the Alpina flash a little more drivable.

The TCU seems to use Pedal Position rather than requested torque in order to dictate its line pressure.
Appreciate 0