E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
I see no logic in your comment, as they don't just hand-out WCs based on popularity. And who ever said that a driver's WC count must be proportional to their "greatness"? You're free to have whatever opinion you want about any driver, regardless of WCs.

That being said, I really dislike the knee-jerk armchair quarterbacking that's going on. For example, Kimi has always been listed in the top echelon of drivers, yet he's doing poorly as Alonso's teammate. So why isn't he being called "overrated" as with Vettel? And Alonso is regarded the top driver by many, but when he drove for McLaren alongside Hamilton, he didn't do well. So is he overrated too?

At this level of sport, there are always going to be differences among the cars, not only between teams, but also within teams. And sometimes a car's setup is more suitable to one driver than another. This year, Vettel, Hamilton, Raikkonnen and Massa have all had much worse luck with their cars than their teammates. It's not because they're bad drivers, it's just racing.
This is one of those "agree to disagree" arguments, and will never have a conclusion. And we've all been through this many times.

Like I said for several years here. If Seb won 4 WDC, how come Webber can't even get once?

In a fair point of view, have we ever seen World Champions won with a POS car throughout the season? I'd say no, but even if there was in the past, it wasn't often at all. Its either the fastest car, or the second fastest car on the grid.

Again, Formula 1, like its name, a "formula". You will need a combination of car, driver, team and even luck. with all these variables make a world champion driver and team.

I was watching on of the Ted Kravitz qualifying notebook, and was asking Kimi's manager (?) about rumors. One thing he stated, drivers dont become shitty in a day. There must be a combination of variables affects the performance.

I just cannot stand people dis-credit Vettel's achievement with just one race weekend, or even just one season of under-performance. Think about the pressure he had to carry every season to defend the championship. Also IMO, he is still very humble despite a 4 time world champ.

Anyhow, my point is, every world champion was well deserved in the season they've won. It is not their fault that others are unable to challenge them.
Some might lost their edge due to various reasons, but it is not the evidence to discredit their achievement.