10-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #33
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
The first Audi S car was the S2 coupe launched back in 1991, it was competitive against a E30 M3 on a straightline.
The first Audi RS car was the RS2 Avant launched back in 1994. That car was really special & it ranks right up there with the Ur-Quattro 20V. Due to this car BMW was forced to react by upgrading the E36 M3 significantly in 1996, for Europe at least.
It's understandable that our friends in USA are not familiar with the history of these Audi's cos they were either not available (RS2) or not publicised over there (S2), as their brand image were in tatters during 80's & early 90's.
Actually i am very very familiar with the Audi S models including the fact that the Original Audi Quattro was considered the S1 by means of its successor, the S2. My point was the US didn't receive it's first official "S" car until the B5 S4, which wasn't much of an M3 competitor, although they do make for a mighty drag car using Euro-only RS4 guts. The S4 then continued in B6 form and matched the e46 M3 in power but not dynamics and desirability.

The US then received their first real RS car ever (im discounting the earlier released C5 RS6 because it really didn't compete with the M5) in the form of the B7 RS4 using a V8 producing 420hp while BMW was still issuing the E46 M3 and figuring out what the next bar would be for them. Make no mistake, the B7 RS4 was it and was highly acclaimed and was a bright light for the brand. But when the E92 M3 broke through the gates, also using a V8 and 420hp in a lighter and, I would say, much better looking package we had a pretty good duel on our hands.

The fight got really hot and heavy and here we are today. Audi subsequently released their R8 supercar to new bestowed eyes that were otherwise saved for ferrari glances. It gave them new cultural status in the top tier marketplace. It is what it is...these cars are awesome. And ultimately "haters gon hate" and we can all live with that.