United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
bastard.

Don't RAID SSDs, it'll be a waste of money, unless you have lots you want spend on it. Here are my recommendations:

1. If you want a laptop, buy a 512gb Crucial M4 SSD card to put in it. Then, you can buy a NAS (I can recommend a few depending on your budget) and have a RAID 5 or RAID 6 set that does all your backups.

2. If you want a desktop, a PC or a Mac will be fine. I've been using Macs for over 20 years, so I'm partial to them. However, I've sold many custom PC workstations to other photogs who have been satisfied. With a desktop you can do internal RAID 5 or RAID 6, depending on your budget, and it'll be pretty fast (definitely much faster than your current setup). You don't have to worry about the monitors on a PC, because Apple's monitors, while good, are overpriced.

If you want a quote from me (rather my company) on the best system I can get you (either Mac/PC/laptop), let me know what you want to run (Windows 7 or Mac OS), how much space you think you'll need, what size monitor(s) you want, and what your budget is... feel free to PM me.
Agreed about RAID, but you do need off-site storage if you really value your images. I have two, two-TB LaCie drives, one at home and one at work. I mirror them monthly. I also keep the current month's images on my Lenovo PC's HD until I've completed the mirror backup.

Cloud backup is now getting practical when dealing with GB, but I'm not sure about doing it with TB from a cost perspective (rent vs. buy). If you get a TB HD, be sure to get USB 3.0 or the Apple high-speed equivalent. Before USB 3 I used Firewire with decent results. USB 2.0 SUCKS for imaging with big files. That's ok for P&S files only.

Dave