View Single Post
      02-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #37
johnspr
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320D E90

DONE!

It's been a while since I've been here but everything is installed!

It was already installed in january but I couldn't find the time to update my post. Since I'm really pleased with all the help I've got from other members I HAD to post my final installation, so here it is.

Setup
Mosconi gladen 120.4
Nice 4-channel amp that partially replaces the OEM amp.

Gladen one 201 EXTREME speakerpack
Since I noticed that I didn't need an extra amp (Mosconi 120.2) I thought why not choose for the Extreme speakerpack so I did.

Gladen 100 coax
A small upgrade for the orignal "deck"speakers.

2ch loom (Gladen)
Why a 2 channel? I wanted to keep my rearspeakers but I think €400 for a bit of sound for the passengers is ridiculous. So when the audiodealer advised me to keep the original amp for the rearspeakers all there was left to do is install a better quality speaker.

Silentcoat
I've silenced my doors using a starterpack of Silentcoat. Very nice material!

Some wires
I've used additional wiring for the underseatsubs, and some power wires.. the usual.

First job was replace the underseats. Sorry forgot to make nice pictures here!

Next up, lay down the 2ch loom in place. Too bad, also no pictures. It was really frustrating to get the connector behind the radio but after some deap breaths en patience it fits! That's the reason why

Next step, replacing the rearspeakers. FIY, the gladen 100 coax aren't made for a sedan but for a stationwagon with doorspeaker instead of deckspeakers. The problem with this is that the speakers won't fit right in. Solution? Take apart the reardeck and mount the speaker from beneath! The foam closes the edges of the speaker, you only have the use longer screw and turn the screwplates upside down.
The hole is left from the Original tweeter. This is later stuffed with foam from the SilentCoat starterkit.

Then I needed to disassemble the doors. No further explanation needed.

First the speaker was mounted. The put the SilentCoat into place. It cuts very easily with scissors. Not everything was covered since it's a starterpackage, but it does the job very well.

I've used an electic heatblower to soften te residue to paste the coating.

Some foam around the speakerarea.

Hot glue the passive xovers in place.
And done with the doors!

Tweeters is a fairly easy job. They fit right into place! I've only used a bit of hot glue just to be sure.

And the new composet installed. Looks clean

Same for the other door...

Finally I've hooked up the amp.

And I've made a mountingbracket so the Mosconi amp can fit right above the OEM amp! So yes! you can mount two amps (Original/Mosconi) in the side compartiment of a sedan.

Soooo how does it sound? Well to be hounest at first I wasn't pleased, not clear enough, not loud enough etcetera.
After a lot of finetuning the system it sounds very nice, especially for the money. The spectrum of sound is really width, the bass is pretty low and the system goes loud enough. I think my expectations were to high but after a week I'm really pleased with the upgrade. Most of the people who drive along go like
The set plays all kinds of music very nice and I'm listening to it everyday!

Due the fact I'm really pleased I've got some options open..
From my old car I've got an 12" sub 4ohm DVC and 2CH amp (bridged 4ohm 600wrms). I don't want to have a big box in my trunk but what I do want to know is the following.

My current setup is an highlevel input in the Mosconi amp.
My "old" amp is an lowlevel input.

As mentioned above an Y-cable can be uses for looping i.e. a 120.4 to another 120.4.
What possibilities do I have to hook up the lowlevel amp? Can I use an Y-cable to looptrough via the Mosconi and place a hi/lo converter between the Mosconi looptrough and "old" amp?
This setup will be just for testing to see whether I want this.
Appreciate 0