View Single Post
      12-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #24
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
The honest truth is that we have no idea why there is such abnormal wear. Yes the car lives a lot of its life on the Nurburgring, but equally it is exceptionally well maintained and regularly inspected. The Nurburgring doesn't actually pose that many challenges to an engine - if anything, a circuit like Laguna Seca is more demanding on an engine in terms of oil lubrication and starvation because it's a much smaller track with greater frequency of corners within the same time frame.

The engine is now being loaded up with data logging equipment so I can directly measure things like oil pressure and exhaust gas temperatures.
Laguna Seca has been described as a big auto cross course, and it has lots of elevation change. It is hard on brakes, but unlike the ring (I have not been on the ring, but like many of us, I have watched many laps of it) the engine isn't going to be under heavy load for extended periods of time.

All that load and its associated heat could be part of your piston swelling problem.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 0