Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It's a compromise between aesthetics and performance. Most street driven cars won't mind a bit of forward rake. Best bet is a corner balance with the driver at the wheel. Each corner is on a scale and ride hight is adjusted to balance weight to the driver's liking, ideally an even distribution, including left to right accounting for the driver's weight. It's a bit excessive for street cars, but if you are a stickler for performance and chasing 10ths of a second, it's pretty much the SOP.
FYI, corner balancing and rake are not directly related. You can set the front and rear ride heights as desired and the fine tune the corner balancing. Ultimately, the only thing corner balancing does is even out left and right turn handling. IMO, properly adjusting rake, i.e. relative front and rear ride heights, is much more critical to handling than corner balancing. Changing the relative ride heights changes the roll centers and how much each axle resists roll respective to the other and this has significant incidence on handling characteristics. On my CS, I originally had the front set too low, which limited the ability to put the power down on corner exit. Raising the front a tad got the front axle to take more of the roll resistance and improved rear axle grip under power coming out of corners.
Good to know. I usually group them together since adjusting the rake is all part of the alignment and corner balancing service at the alignment shop.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0