View Single Post
      10-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
weezyf
Rep
Drives: still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
Yes, you are right. I did a bit more research and it seems that BMW dropped the admissibility letter requirement in July of 2008. I guess it was just people importing in that Nov '07 to Jul '08 window who got really screwed.

For the OP, this site has a really good summary of how the rules have evolved over time. The good news is you should be able to import your 328xi after all. My apologies for the confusion I may have helped to cause.
Its all good.. I think a lot of us are confused lol.

Thanks for the site I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
So we don't need the expensive letter and cluster change? Just a recall letter from the States, DRL fix, CanadianTire inspection, and other government fees/taxes? Should be worth it to import then.. no?
We don't need the $350 admission letter from BMW.
We still need the recall letter.. But you don't have to get it from BMW Canada I think..

as for the cluster change we still need to clarify this.. I'll call BMW up tomorrow.. Unless somebody else knows.

Quote:
Just watch out for two things:
- Free Maintenance won't apply, but if you go to the States often then you can just do it there and it includes brakes and other "consumables" where as you need to pay $800 in Canada to get that.
- Expect lower resale value when you want to sell the car. Apparently US-cars are worth less here (I don't know why). Unless you can take it back to the States to sell it.
Theres a BMW dealership in the U.S about 45 mins from me.. Which is okay since the nearest dealership in my city is about 30 mins from me.

Resale value is low? Weird a lot of the dealerships here are importing cars from the U.S and selling them for the same price.. Besides I don't plan on selling it for a while.. And if I save 10k-15k importing instead of buying it here its a great bargain.
Appreciate 0