View Single Post
      11-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #27
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Sorry this is incorrect on so many levels.

Speaking as a first gen of Chinese decent, the culture fosters respect towards elders and to help your parents in their old age regardless of whether they have money or not. I remember my mother ingraining in my head that if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be alive both from the standpoint of conceiving me and supporting me.

In my situation, my parents haven't moved in with me yet. But I told my now wife before we got married that I have an obligation to provide a room for my parents to move in if the time comes. She agreed with me and understood why as she said she has a similar viewpoint; she's Polish. It's actually pretty funny that my wife sponsored her mother to come over from Poland and we've provided a room for her in our house to stay in until she gets on her feet.

Another perspective on this is my friend who is first gen from Pakistan. He helped buy the house his parents are living in now BEFORE he bought a place of his own. He got ridiculed by other Americanized/western coworkers for being a momma's boy and dumb for doing what he's doing. This is one of the reasons why he and I got along so well because we both understand this parental "duty" of ours which the typical American doesn't get.

While the culture fosters providing all you can to help your kids to grow up and be successful, I don't agree with the out right spoiling of the kids which are the focus of this thread. There's a balance.
With all due respect, I still don't see how I'm wrong? All I've continually stated is that they will most likely have their parents move in with them when older (and that usually, parents seem to spend more on their kids when they are young). And that I'd prefer not to do this, so I don't care about these kids getting a head start.

Its great that its a responsibility and all, and I'd want to take care of my parents too, I just would prefer not to have them live with me. And whether its a responsibility or not, was not my point.
Appreciate 0