View Single Post
      01-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreuoid View Post
The VW/Audi Lock + Unlock buttons located on every door handle are far down and far away enough from a cracked-open window that you'd have a hell of a time getting to them. So I can't say I see that point.

I'm really confused by what you mean when you say "deters them" or "gives you time to roll up your window or hit gas".

The "two pulls" refers to the inside door handle, not the outside door handle which it seems like you're referring to.

As such, this concept is not in place to deter someone trying to gain access from the outside of the vehicle. It's designed so that you can Unlock your door with the first pull of the handle and Exit the car with the second.

You only have to pull the outside door handle once.

I'm afraid you are incorrect. If two passengers pull twice on their handle (as described above) they will have Unlocked their doors and exited the car leaving their respective doors Unlocked and the other two doors Locked.

Therefore you can indeed have two doors locked and two doors unlocked.

In the event that two doors are Locked and two doors are Unlocked, what does the system do when you press the central button? Does it Lock all doors or Unlock all doors?

Since all doors are locked from the get go, you'd have to (or a passenger would) to open a door while the car is in motion, therefore the only time a door would be unlocked would be when the car is at a standstill and when it starts rolling again, doors would lock automatically.

If in the odd case that any doors are unlocked, and you hit the lock/unlock button, then the doors would first lock, then unlock(i'll go confirm this).

Having the peg down is also a way of keeping people from unlocking your doors with the window down since you're moving the locking/unlocking portion from the handle. you would have to reach through the car to unlock the doors, or double pull...in either instance it would bring you greater reaction time than some reaching to the same place and unlocking and opening doors. It would take amazing coordination to unlock a bmw from the outside with the windows all the way down even...you might as well jump in the car if that is the case.
Appreciate 0