View Single Post
      02-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #51
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
M3 is over sized sports car that's over priced for the numbers that it puts down. If i wanted a sports coupe that large I rather just get the 4 door.
"The numbers". I wish so much people could get past "numbers." Numbers as in acceleration times (as I assume he's referring to...and the fact these times are close anyway and all respectable) really mean very little in the real world, and is so one-dimensional and alone doesn't come close to characterizing the car nor driving experience. I don't drive at 10/10ths wherever I go, so my car's maximum potential isn't that much of an issue. What is essential to me is the feel of the car and the joy of driving it, steering feedback and precision, the cornering, the plantedness, the sound, etc. Yes, acceleration is important, but any car in a 5 second range to 0-60 is plenty quick for the real world, and all of these cars are.

You also MUST realize BMW has to make compromises for economy and for mass market appeal. They aren't making dedicated track cars. Performance is at a compromise to economy and liveability. The M3 is an amazing car to be able to be so tame when driven with ease, yet so beastly capable when driven at 10/10ths. Also, another thing many M owners would agree to is they feel the cars are geared too tall as OEM. Better for maximum fuel economy and tire life, but many would prefer the extra grunt across the whole rpm range which results in a very healthy increase in acceleration for a small sacrifice in economy.