View Single Post
      02-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #55
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
"The numbers". I wish so much people could get past "numbers." Numbers as in acceleration times (as I assume he's referring to...and the fact these times are close anyway and all respectable) really mean very little in the real world, and is so one-dimensional and alone doesn't come close to characterizing the car nor driving experience. I don't drive at 10/10ths wherever I go, so my car's maximum potential isn't that much of an issue. What is essential to me is the feel of the car and the joy of driving it, steering feedback and precision, the cornering, the plantedness, the sound, etc. Yes, acceleration is important, but any car in a 5 second range to 0-60 is plenty quick for the real world, and all of these cars are.

You also MUST realize BMW has to make compromises for economy and for mass market appeal. They aren't making dedicated track cars. Performance is at a compromise to economy and liveability. The M3 is an amazing car to be able to be so tame when driven with ease, yet so beastly capable when driven at 10/10ths. Also, another thing many M owners would agree to is they feel the cars are geared too tall as OEM. Better for maximum fuel economy and tire life, but many would prefer the extra grunt across the whole rpm range which results in a very healthy increase in acceleration for a small sacrifice in economy.
In the real world M3 handles second to none, never said it didn't, It just isn't fun to drive unless your pushing/punishing the rpm's above 5k everywhere you go . The M3 lacks the torque to provide power on demand and fails to be fun car to drive in real world situations. That's why plenty of people will agree that 135i is a better driving experience in the real world. On the track thats another story, M3 coupe is just to expensive for the lack of torque. torque=fun

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0