04-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #20
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
While i try not to digress, I sort of dont understand your comments above or why you need to resort to such name calling. Have you owned an S85 M6 to be able to compare "dynamics" to an AM or Maserati?
Yeah I can try to elaborate more although I still maintain that his comments came off as incredibly pompous and condescending (probably would've been better to say that to begin with). I never compared driving dynamics of the M6 vs. the AM or Maserati nor do I intend to. The two cars cater to two very different demographics so it's a moot point anyway.

Quote:
Its sort of silly if not rediculous to comment on driving dynamics and then tout AM or Mas in this comparison, things they are never touted for in comparisons.
I was never the one to bring up AM or Maserati, the guy I quoted and responded to did. He said that an M6 is comparable to the AM and Maserati, not in driving dynamics but rather in "prestige". Which isn't true. BMW, while a great brand (as well as M GmbH), isn't quite up to the same level of sophistication that Maserati and Aston Martin hold in the market place. Not that that is a big deal, BMW primarily doesn't focus on that demographic anyway.

The OP, in looking at an M6 and a Z06, most likely wants a driver oriented car so to him, it's likely irrelevant that a Z06 won't have the same "prestige" as an M6, besides he probably already knows that and doesn't care. IMO to discount a Corvette as a "mid life crisis car" and ignore the merits it does have is just ridiculous.

Quote:
While the M6 is not an exotic car, its engine surely is and its been proven to beat the very best when it was introduced. I would certainly challenge the notion that most people that buy an AM as well as a Mas are driving enthusiasts, its more like very lucky or very successful while still liking to drive a status symbol which is the target for many of those offerings
I wouldn't dispute the fact that the engine itself is exotic, it is. But that's not what he said. He said the car itself was. A 6 Series is a damn nice car, but it's not an exotic by any means, even in M trim. I also never said that driving enthusiasts buy AM and Maseratis. Like I said, with regard to the OP, going between an M car and a Z06 likely means that HE is a driving enthusiast. Both of the cars he is looking at fit the bill well, just depends on what kind of driving he's looking for.

Quote:
But, for day to day reliability and enjoyment, it was near impossible to beat the M6 period. ive had friends with ferraris and lambos that love the M6 for its day to day usablility and insane power and most of them went on to get an M6 (and M5s too) along with or as replacement for their true exotics. If you are going to talk dynamics, well BMW is actually really really hard to beat and M cars in particular will stand up next to near any car when the sole judgement is driving dynamics, regardless of whether you call it an 'exotic'.

No fan boy here either, and Ill not say that the E63 M6 was the best car ever made and nothing ever beats it, but its a damn great car with an exotic engine.
Reread what I wrote, I said that the M6 is a great day to day car and easier to live with as a daily than a Z06, but suggested that if the OP is looking for a car he can drive on a track then a Z06 is be better suited to that. It is literally what the car was built for.

I think you took what I wrote and assumed I was trashing the M6, which I wasn't. Just realizing it for what it is, a damn good car that one could easily drive everyday around town but it's not in the same league as an Aston or Maserati.
Appreciate 0