View Single Post
      01-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #26
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueaudi18 View Post
i was thinking a nikon d40. What lens should i also buy with it?
To your original question, it's been discussed many times. While I personally use Nikon, take a look below, and see what is best for you.....

No one can answer that question for you. Be warry of anyone that gives you an absolute. To start, what is your level of photographic experience? What do you want to do with the camera? How much is your budget?

I love my Nikon D200, but it's not the best camera for everyone, or maybe anyone. It fits my hand very well, and it has many features I need, and many more that I want.

Determine what you want to shoot first. Then let us know your level of experience. Then let us know your budget. With that info, we can give you much better recommendations of where to start, but you have to decide what fits your needs, style and hands the best.

BTW, Nikon and Canon are probably the best long-term options, so expect to see most repsonses favor one of those brands.

………

Go to the store, hold the cameras in your hands. The camera should be a natural extension of your body. The one that feels the best is the one to choose. Look at the controls, decide which layout you like the best.

In the sub $1000 range, including a lens, you're looking at a Canon XTi or the Nikon D40x. Both are outstanding cameras with a wide selection of excellent lenses. If you're looking at the sub $1000 for a body only, the Nikon D80 is tough to beat. If I'm not mistaken, the Canon options are all over $1000 that compete with the D80.

As for kit lenses, there are plenty of fine lenses out there. While I'm among the first to say the lens is more important than the body, just GETTING A CAMERA AND SHOOTING is more important than agonizing over equipment. I have lenses worth over $2000 and lenses worth barely $200, and they are both capable of producing outstanding images. The difference comes down to the capability of the photographer.

It's a little bit the fiddle, but much more who holds the bow!

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0