Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Power is only being sent to the rear wheels. That means less drivetrain loss.
Nope. The front wheels are most likely on the ground, which means the front diff and drive shaft are spinning and losing either way.
Quote:
X drive still weighs 180lbs more then RWD cars and we are still rotating the front axles and they still have some drag. Transfer case also has it's resistance in play too (I believe).
You got it! Transfer case resistance is present whether the clutch is engaged or not.
Quote:
It's absolutely not a placebo affect as to having less rolling resistance and increased efficiency though.
All 4 wheels are rolling. All 4 half-shafts are fighting inertia. Both diffs are spinning. Both driveshafts are twirling away. Rolling resistance is the same. Therefore efficiency is the same.
Quote:
Anyway, agree to disagree. Everyone is right on the internet anyway? If you have something more complex as to how you guys got this notion, I'd be happy to be educated on it.
Yup, as just someone on the internet, you have very little reason to blindly believe me. But you can accept the information I've provided and run it thru your BS detector, and hopefully arrive to a similar conclusion.
I don't know the in and outs of this software mod, but if power is being cut to the front wheels, then there has to be an increase in power. If the VGSG is keeping the transfer case clutch open, then your certainly gaining power from less drive train loss. I'd imagine the car is most definitely fast from 70-130mph...

I'm interested to hear/learn more about why this has otherwise been proven wrong...?