Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
I had that code come up about two months ago when we had a small warm spell. It went away on its own, and then last Thursday, another warm up to 40F, and the code (with Service Engine Soon lamp) came back.

It's probably either the evap pump, or sometimes the solenoid to open the evap system. I thought it might be covered as an emissions item, but I recently learned here at work that modules that STORE the codes are required to be covered as emissions components, but not necessarily the faulty component itself.

I may just drive with it for a little while (it shouldn't affect mpg), and fix it when the weather gets warmer or I get tired of looking at the service lamp. The evap system typically has a pressure bleed down algorithm, and so a small leak can set this code. Different OEMs can do it differently, and I'm more familiar with Fords than BMWs for emissions.
Excellent description and input, much appreciated! Like you, I'm probably going to wait until the spring to replace the pump (assuming it ends up being the culprit). Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavaddict View Post
Few pointers and YMMV:

1) Check the rear wheel passenger well liner and look for the plastic piece that covers the DMTL pump. If you hit something this plastic shield that covers the DMTL pump, its connector, as well as the vaccum hoses may break and you may have damaged the connector that plugs into the DMTL pump. You should be able to check this fairly quickly (jack up the car high enough so you can get under the rear bumper, remove rear passenger wheel, remove the plastic shield and check).

2) If step 1 turns out ok, your indy may be able to run dianostic on the DMTL pump and testing it may reset the pump which may resolve the issue.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!
Re: 1), I think I'll do that sooner rather than later...I guess I originally assumed a visual inspection would be pointless, but after seeing what you suggested, might be worth my time to see if there are any obvious issues with any of that stuff.

Re: 2), also a good suggestion. Might see if the shop can do that Saturday when she's in for her walnut blasting!

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. This is very helpful stuff!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 0