Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i w/ Sport Pkg

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
maxwell600, who posted above, has had both the JB4 iso and the OpenFlash running OTS maps. Maybe he wouldn't mind giving you some comparative feedback before you decide on any tune in particular. Perhaps the best people to listen to are those who have tried current version of different tunes. Otherwise people defend to suggest the tune they use since they have not had any other experience.

my 2c,
shiv
This is correct. I ran the G4 board for over a year and I loved it. Loved switching maps on the fly and the gauge hijacking as well.

That being said, I think the tune was a bit too volatile. That's just me, going by my butt dyno, and what I mean by volatile, is not as safe for the engine (I know I am totally talking out of my ass, and I also have no hard facts to back this claim up). Seemed like a bucking bronco at times, and while that's cool and all, I personally like a power delivery that I can predict.

Another thing I dislike was taking shit apart to make my way to the DME box to install it. I don't know, it always made me feel....funny. In the end, the the Jb4 is awesome for what it is, a piggyback tune, but as far as PB's go, I would probably go with the Procede next time around.

On to the Openflash - Easy to install, easy to custom tune. Now I may not know how to use this TunerPro software yet, but it's pretty awesome that the option is there, not to mention that people who do know how to do it, can custom tune and share those maps for free, which I am super excited for.

The power delivery on Stage 1 is super smooth. I know exactly how it will feel when I floor it. Also the real time logging and data that is on the screen is awesome as fuck too, provided you have some way to mount it. (looks like the Cobb V3 is doing this as well, but for $900? balls...)

Oh...and it is $400 - which is huge.

All in all - I, and many others, think the Openflash is a huge step in the right direction for this platform. I personally think piggyback's are on their way out for the standard tuner. They'll still be around and supported for the heavily modded guys, but if you're going to do standard bolt ons, why spend more on something that does less?