09-27-2023, 11:47 PM   #69
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smartepants View Post
This just happened to me last Friday on the way home from work. 5 miles from home the "low coolant" caution, then 1 minute later the "engine temp high" caution, immediately followed by the "engine overheated pull over right f'ing now" warning. Oil temp was still below normal operating temp so I limped home and shut it off. After an hour, I checked both expansion tanks and they were bone dry.

So, do I NEED to pay BMW to do the cooling system vacuum treatment? Or am I safe to drive it as-is? The engine oil temp gauge reads exactly the same as before.
I just had this exact problem, I was in the middle of the highway in the middle of a rainstorm 10 minutes from home, so I kept driving even though it fluctuated between the yellow and red warnings. The temp gauge showed normal about 100C the whole time! Got home quick as I could and the engine was hot and slightly smoking...

I already read about this a couple of months ago, and already bought the part but was too busy to change it! Now I may have a cooked engine

Mr Smartepants, how much coolant did you put in? Were you able to use the car after that or did you end up vacuum flushing the system?

Last edited by acediac; 09-28-2023 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 0