View Single Post
      01-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #39
mynamesnotbob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornand1 View Post
Thanks for many valuable suggestions, NotBob!

My problems might be caused by a combination of the issues you mention:

- Tags, the small-scale testing I did seemed to get both tag data and artwork right straight out of iTunes (on a Mac), but perhaps the tag quality varies across the library?
- Hidden files, this seems right, when browsing folders in iDrive, folders with such ._ files have two versions, one proper and one ._. This seems to suggest that there are hidden files from the Mac
- HDD speed, this is a rather old WD drive so this could certainly be an issue. It handles a small-scale test well enough, but with 15,000 tracks it could be too slow. Do you know drives (above 150 GB) that seem to work well, even SSDs?
- The car has the "highest" iDrive (I think it's called Navi Professional)
- I would question the tagging from itunes, it may be fine nowadays but a few years ago it was pretty inconsistent - even today the way it adds album art does not extract properly through metadata. Try tagr if you don't have a windows instance

- Hidden files - just use the command
dot_clean /path/folder
in terminal

- HDD - I use a Seagate STDR1000200, it works well but I am sure there are faster out there. Fastest would probably a USB disc caddy with an SSD. The other issue you might be facing if it's an older drive is not enough power, I think the power available from the USB socket in the car is only 1amp, which may struggle to power an older drive.