View Single Post
      08-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Unions have abused their powers so much, it's hard not to see the move towards 'union' busting, it's really not against the people it's against entitlement issues that many unions have. Just this morning, it's another union issue with Verizon.

System is broken, there is a LOT more to the story then just BMW flipping a switch and removing good workers, BMW is a lot smarter than that.

I bet the Teamsters have been a giant pain the ass to work with and finally BMW has had enough. I work for a large company that was both union and non-union workforces. The unions just make EVERYTHING a giant hassle. The union shop has 27 job categories and we can't move workers between them. In other words, we have to lay-off someone rather than move them into a spot where we have a need for additional workers. In another plant doing roughly the same thing, the work gets done with FOUR worker categories. Need to move a piece of equipment? A worker cross-trained in using the crane just does it. In the union shop? Sit on your ass for 30 mins awaiting the union crane operator to show up. He does nothing else.
I'd bet if this was a non-union shop this wouldn't be happening. BMW has a responsibility to the owners to operate as efficiently as possible.
Appreciate 0