View Single Post
      03-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

I've been researching routines and such since I posted this thread, and I can definitely see that everyone has their own opinion of what to do in the gym. After all the reading I've been doing, I think my main problem is not enough food. I used to weigh 205 so I started eating really healthy and a lot less. Now my body needs the food so hopefully I'll be seeing more gains. I'm going to take before and after pics and start this routine suggested to me by someone:

Day 1: Back, biceps Day 2: Chest, triceps Day 3:Shoulders, traps Day 4: Legs Note, those are workout days, so rest days are every other day. Abs you can do either on rest days or at the end of every second workout, just not daily.
If you're working upper body/lower body, even though you may work every muscle group more often, you won't be working them as hard.

With that schedule I would do 4 exercises per muscle for major muscle groups (chest, back, legs, shoulders), 3 for minor (biceps, triceps, calves). 4 sets per exercise, 10 reps per set. The last set, it's ok to only do 6-8 reps, as long as the last one is done to failure (with a spotter if it's free weights for things like bench or squats).

Since you're looking for chest strength and mass, I'll provide an example workout for that. Keep in mind, when you do a power movement like a bench or a squat, you're not working just your pectoral muscles. The front deltoids and triceps are heavily involved, as well as core strength which is why I strongly suggest putting as much effort into all the muscle groups as you do chest. We all have our weak muscles and exercises we don't particularly enjoy, but they're all linked.

Chest:
Flat bench press, incline dumbbell press, incline dumbbell flies, cable crossovers.
Triceps: triceps extensions (cable push downs), dumbbell kickbacks, overhead triceps extension.
To finish off this workout, toss in maximum rep dips for two sets and you should be spent. Every couple of weeks, make sure to add a little weight...2.5-5lbs per side, 5 lbs for dumbells.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0