Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Respectfully, people who buy BMW 118 have a lot more say than you or I do. BMW is in the business of selling ///Millions of cars, not just ///M cars.

I'm not in a sad club my friend, I'm in touch with reality and reality says, a manufacturer which sells half a million "everyday" cars every year would care more about what that segment wants than the segment it only sells 40k cars to (I'm pulling figures from the air so don't go quoting me on it but the principle hold true)

You go on believing you actually have a say, and I'll go on believing in Easter Bunny - we'd be pretty well on par.

What is extraordinary about your comments is the fact that the brand you claim is going down, had its BEST YEAR on record; way to go down BMW 😂😂
///M cars and brand were NOT for everyone. These were once special and aspirational cars catered for car enthusiasts. Not for your wife to drive to the mall.

Its sad to see that BMW has completely diluted the M brand for short term profit.

You don’t think Ferrari can triple their sales overnight by just selling $100k car or putting Ferrari badge on Maserati SUV. Brand prestige is much more valuable than short term profits, unfortunately BMW and MB AMG has really ruined their brands.
I don't doubt what you are saying has some merit. However, what manufacturers do also has some merit. What you call brand dilution, AUDI, BMW, MB and the like call survival mechanism.

Those who want a bit of M but can only afford 3/4 of one, can buy M340 instead of M3, as an example. BMW wins twice that way; first by selling two cars instead of one, but more importantly, by not losing one sale to another manufacturer just because they cared about M, more than they cared about sales.

Don't forget, it's all the non-M sales that pays for the development of M cars. However much you and I may dislike brand dilution, in reality, without it there may not be a M to speak of for too long.
PNWM3542.50