View Single Post
      08-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #4545
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
All's well. I picked it up at the FedEx/Kinkos yesterday and I've taken around 2,000-shots already.

The 1D X's AF speed is in another world compared to the 5D MkIII and the 7D. So, I immediately put on the 500mm f/4L IS II and my EF 2.0X TC-III and started looking for flying targets. With my 5D3, that combo takes around 1-sec. to lock on, IF I'm lucky. I can lose focus in an instant and spend another second trying to get it back. With the 1D X, assuming that I've prefocused anywhere near the subject, it locks on in about .2-sec.

So, here are some rough bird in flight keeper stats. where a keeper has the eye in focus, looking sharp at 100%:
  • 7D gets maybe 4 out of 10
  • 5D3 gets around 7 out of 10
  • 1D X gets 95 out of 100 (the 5 missed are usually user error)

It's worth every penny of the premium over the 5D3, if you can afford it.

The high ISO performance also blows the others in the weeds. I feel totally free to shoot at ISO 3200 and 6400 in order to get the shutter speed that I need for the situation. Also, I'm freer to shoot at f/11 or even f/16 to get some extra DOF and still have a decent SS.

Compared to my Series I 500mm, the S-II feels like a feather. It's only 1.5 lbs lighter, but I really notice it and appreciate it. I hold it in the ready position a lot longer.

Dave
Not to mention true spot metering based on your focus point if you choose to do so. Only the 1D bodies have that feature unfortunately.
Appreciate 0