01-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Great looking ride -- nice job!

I assume you were on a staggered setup before -- can you describe the differences in how the car handles now with the square set up (especially given that you have Cobb Stage 1)?
Thank you, I appreciate that!

I have a square winter setup (225 Blizzaks on all 4), but I am coming from a staggered setup of Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225F/255R for summers. Without having changed anything in the suspension, it's completely stock including alignment, I can say that the front end grip has been improved by A LOT! The car is much more neutral now than it was before. You can make it understeer or oversteer depending on how you are driving it. I was concerned that the massive increase in front grip was actually going to cause the front end to feel worse, despite the increase in front grip, because it would cause the suspension link bushings to deflect that much more and I am glad to say that it really didn't make it any worse. The front end responds nicely now to dramatic steering inputs with serious grip and ferocious directional changes. With the increased front end grip the car will now oversteer on turns where before it would start to push. Unfortunately, it's not a wonderful experience to have the rear step out on you due to the suspension bushings flopping around all over the place and the lack of an LSD, but that's something I will have to live with unless I drop $$$. I much prefer it this way and it definitely feels like I can drive it faster than before, but you have to be awake or it will eat you. The biggest difference over everything I noticed though is shortened braking distances and turn in after breaking. HUGE difference there! Imagine coming up to a turn, guns blazing into heavy braking and then entering the turn with an aggressive flick inwards. I'm not saying that's the right way to drive, but do that with the stock staggered setup and the car would push without a doubt. Like this, the car just bites down hard and ducks into the turn.

Hopefully I articulated myself well enough for that to make sense.
Appreciate 0