Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicos81 View Post
hey guys, since you've been talking about computers... my laptop is getting pretty old, and with me taking much more photos trying to process etc. i will be needing a new computer.

do you think it would be better to build a pc for photo/video editing or i was considering the apple mini as well for its portability and limited use of space.. anyone has the mini? is it any good. i'm not much of a computers guy so i cant compare or choose by myself!!
Remember, Apple is a software choice as well as hardware. You'll have to use their software or wait longer for the PC softwares to become available on the Apple.

That said, my yougest daughter is a professional techy (network engineer) and has been running three OSs on her MacBook Pros for years. She's very much admiring the Apple Air. You'll have to evaluate its suitability for your software choices.

On the PC front, Lenovo and HP have some excellent Windows 7 laptops with solid state HDs and great graphics card. Go ahead and get the 64-bit OS and as much memory as you can afford. Also look for USB 3.0 for fast transfer speeds to your next external HD. Programs like Photoshop, Lightroom, DPP, etc. are resource hogs. Going solid-state, 64-bit and generous memory will assure that you can operate for at least a few years before software advances overwhelm your hardware again.

Dave