04-15-2009, 01:27 AM   #35
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
You can find Nikon lenses in white sometimes too.....

This has roots that began back way before the digital age. Nikon used to be "King Shit" when it came to film cameras. That's what people wanted, and Nikon knew it. I can still remember back in high school what my "dream camera" was, a Nikon F4 (introduced in 1988.) Then Canon introduced the first pro model EOS in 1989 (EOS-1.)

The introduction of the EOS was a bit of challenge for Canon, as the EOS lens mount was different than previous Canon SLRs. That mean all those "legacy" lenses wouldn't work on the EOS. That was a gamble they took, and it has (until recently) worked out well for them in terms of market share.

Quoted from this website: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...OS-1/index.htm

Now, once you get someone "married" to a lens system, especially at the pro level where they are spending thousands and thousands on glass, you have an easier time KEEPING them in system. Since many pro sports shooters had turned to Canon in the film days, they are still with Canon today in the digital age. Canons were known for faster frames per second than Nikons, and in the sports world, that is king.

But that might be slowly changing, as Nikon is now taking share from Canon. Full Frame Nikons are scoring better than full frame Canons on DXO Mark's website, with the top 3 spots held by the three FF Nikons. Also, these FF Nikons take more FPS than their Canon counterparts. The Nikon D3 will do 9 FPS at FF and 11 at DX Crop. The top Canon FF will do just over half that speed (5.)

DXO Mark's website with the digital sensor scores:
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor

I personally like Nikon's ergonomics better, which is why I went for the Nikon. If I were buying a new DSLR today, I'd be very tempted to buy Canon, mostly because their premium glass is quite a bit cheaper than Nikon's premium glass now. Since I was coming from neither Nikon nor Canon, I wasn't married to a system. I'm still not, having only the body and one lens right now. No plans to change over though....
Thanks for that. Makes a lot more sense now!
Appreciate 0