View Single Post
      02-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #25
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDeeky View Post
Yes - it had 67K miles on it. The last 15K miles were with JB4 and 10K miles with meth.
You tell me after the mechanic opens up the clutch. This is purely a hunch, but you're looking at a clutch that is designed to nominally handle about 350 lbs of torque. You've tuned the engine to push what, about 450hp at the flywheel?

Simply put, the pressure plate isn't designed to withstand the full force of a tuned engine. Say something broke coming down the straight causing the "surge" symptoms, what potentially feels like slipping clutch...then you jump off throttle for the braking zone and all hell broke loose, something catastrophic happens to the clutch and cause the spinning crank to seize up. BAM. Cylinder 4's bearing spins free and punches a hole through the block.

The fact that you didn't leave fluid on track would suggest to me, that the smoke you see could possibly be the clutch going up in smokes. Whatever disintegrates in the clutch disconnects the flywheel and the transmission and no lock-up of the rear wheel.

I still think that the fact he clutch pedal is to the floor is suspicious. Doesn't hurt to look at it, since when the new engine is put in, you'll get a good look at the clutch. None of the clutch hardware is anywhere near enough to cylinder 4 for any sort of damage to cause the clutch to floor out...but a nuked pressure plate might (and that makes you wonder why the pressure plate is nuked when/if the engine blew first).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0