View Single Post
      08-08-2014, 04:00 AM   #42
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

My point was that the Z4 is more comfortable, easier to drift, and more fun while doing it. That is what I call fun, and I am well aware that most "enthusiasts" may think something else is more fun. It surely doesn't out-handle a Boxter in the traditional sense (ie slalom speeds etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpost11 View Post
[...] its daily comfort as a driver. It surpasses the Z4 in every aspect mentioned above.
So you are saying that a Boxter is more comfortable to drive than a Z4? Maybe you drove an E89 with 19" wheels, runflats and lowered adaptive M suspension? I am on non-sport standard suspension, 18" and non-runflats... hope this explains.

Quote:
On top, its a mid engine with excellent balance and weighs some 500 lbs LESS than the Z4.
And this is another reason why the Z4 is easier to drift. The Boxter has wider and much better tires (265 vs 255), less weight (almost 500lbs) and much less torque (especially at low rpm), meaning that it is more difficult to get into a drift. It simply wants to grip instead of power-sliding. And please remember: More grip = less fun!

Quote:
Therefore, your statement that the E89 is more fun and handles better than the Boxster is laughable, mind you this is not an opinion, this is fact.
Well, please understand that not everyone thinks more grip and a harder suspension is more fun. I of course agree it doesn't handle better in terms of cornering speeds etc.

Quote:
2. Second statement you mentioned its easier to get "sideways", don't know what exactly you point to there but rent the Boxster for a week and than come back with this statement, I think not.
You simply can't get the same intense feeling when going sideways in a mid-engined car. The seating position is different. This is a trade-off between being able to feel what the front-end is doing vs the rear-end. In the Z4 you sit as far back as you can, and in that lies a hidden gem. But most Z4 owners will never know, because they don't turn DSC=off. In fact it scares most people the first time the rear end slides in sport+, because it is felt so violently in a roadster like the E89.

Quote:
BMW Z4 simply does not have the harmonious equilibrium of the Boxster in comfort and sport modes. It might try to come close but not very close at all. And that's why you pay 10-12k more for a similarly optioned Z4/Boxster.
I don't think a Z4 is in anyway trying to come close to a Boxter. This, in the same way BMW is not trying to be Porsche.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 08-08-2014 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0