View Single Post
      12-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #59
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

lol, i was actually in the same boat just a few months ago....in that, I was looking for a beater....i don't think I'll ever part with my e93 I just love him too damn much....anyways, I first thought about taking over a lease on something like a jeep liberty, but when I test drove one, it was so damn boring.....i just couldn't do it.....

So i set my parameters:

Cost: 10-15k incl all taxes, etc (talkin CAD here)
Preferences: Fun to drive, and preferably AWD

I started looking at cars in the price range, and narrowed it down to an older Lexus IS, G35x Sedan, and Audi A4s.....

Turned out the "Lexi" would always come out a bit over the price range...

The G35x's were actually not bad....but many of them for sale when I was looking were in used car lots, and when initially the price seemed to fit, the added retarded costs pushed it over. Some of the ones that were private sale seemed better on cost, but mileage was too high. And plus, I don't know about in the USA, but here in Toronto, there are SOOOO many of them on the road, it just struck me as a bit boring. And while the power was decent, the handling on the sedan was too light.....

The A4s turned out to be a bit underpowered for the $$, and many that I had checked out ended up not being too clean, ie. accidents etc.....

I ended up finding a 2000 Audi B5 S4, with about 85k miles (130k km), well maintained, got it for like 13G's. And I actually love that thing. And though I hadn't intended on it, I think I'm gonna mod that little twin turbo engine also, lol.....

Anyways, I'm sure you didn't care to read all of that, so I apologize.....it was share-time for me......

But, having said (all) that, the best advice I can give you is:

1.) Know thyself: What kind of car can you really enjoy driving in, for whatever reason, or if you give a shit at all and don't mind driving something that gets you from A to B. I really enjoy driving, so I HAD to find something that's fun to get around in.

2.) Budget: have a price range that you can afford or think is reasonable for you, and don't even bother going out of it, cause it's a slippery slope I tell you

3.) TEST DRIVE whatever car you're interested in

4.) CarFax: Optional, but personally, I found it to be a great help. Not always accurate, mind you, but if a car had been in a decent accident, it was there. I actually found "Carproof", which is a Canadian version of Carfax to be wayyyyy better than Carfax. Maybe that's because I was looking at Canadian spec cars, but there were a good few times that the carfax was clean, and the Carproof showed accidents.

Anyways, GL with the beater search! (and sorry for the essay, share-time is over)