Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Yes, the brakes are fine for the stock/FBO powertrain on the street, and the mods I mentioned improve longevity on the track. The brakes are fine for the car, but it's extremely popular to bitch and moan about how the E9X M3 has shitty brakes. These are usually the same people that complain about torque.
First, I've never complained about the torque of the E9X M3.

The OE brakes are adequate and will work. Fact.

The problem is you'll run through brake pads pretty quickly, rotors will last if they don't heat crack to the point where they may fail, and let's not mention that you'll need to rebuild the calipers more frequently since you'll certainly smoke the dust boots sooner or later.

You could manage the brakes and drive slower for a couple of laps. Or you can screw with brake ducts to make the OEM brakes work.

In many cases, you won't overwhelm the stock brakes on a stock car. But add in some improved engine cooling and sticky tires and I don't see how the OE brakes will last.

You don't need a BBK. But...over long term usage a BBK will have significantly lower consumable costs. For example, I ran through a set of front PF01 pads in 3 days. The rears...with DSC off...had maybe another 1-2 days in them. The fluid was boiled as well. Let's not forget my dust boot on my L/F caliper was vaporized. At the end of the 3rd day...I didn't even finish the last session since I limped the car back into the pits because I literally ran out of pad. None left. Pulled in...dust boot caught fire. Partly a function of not doing a full cool down but still.

Installed a Stoptech 4 wheel BBK. Front brake pads lasted 9 days...a very similar Stoptech SR34 compound to the PF01s, no fluid boiling, no dust boots on fire, and no drama. These 9 days were on some pretty tough tracks to include Circuit of the Americas (140mph to 35-40mph brake zone) and 3 days at Road America (There's 3 130+ MPH straights). Most of all the rear axle wasn't wiggling in hard braking zones.

Do you need a BBK? Of course not. Does it make your M3 a LOT more reliable on track? Yes it does.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0