View Single Post
      07-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Question Engine Problem - cannot diagnose

Please see updates on this issue here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1046951

Hi all,

55,000 happy miles on my 2012 328i but in the last thousand or so, I've noticed it developing an issue that's getting worse. For now, the problem seems only to be audible as there is no obvious loss in power or economy, but as you can hear on the videos, there is a loud whine that gets higher pitched with revs.

I've had BMW Assist out, and the nice chap spent a while with it but couldn't diagnose the issue. It also went in for its major service a few days afterwards, but they couldn't diagnose it either.

My immediate thought was that the turbo is letting go, but the BMW Assist Technician didn't seem to think that was the case. The odd thing though is that it doesn't seem to be as audible when the engine is warmed up. It's most audible when cold, but I still do notice it when up to operating temperature.

It's not too intrusive inside the cabin when the windows are up but you can hear a slightly more pronounced whistle. With the windows down, it's blindingly obvious.

So all I'm doing now is waiting for something to break, which isn't really the best case as I love my car and I don't want a breakdown either, but it's all under warranty and a full maintenance plan so I don't know what more I can do.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts of what it might be...

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)

Last edited by SomeRandomer123; 10-28-2014 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: Link to updates
Appreciate 0