View Single Post
      05-08-2008, 10:56 AM   #31
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
I do agree that BMW's V10 is absolutely amazing. It is high revving (8250rpm) and achieves 100hp/l. It also has lots of other tech stuff...

However, that doesn't mean Audi's V10TT in "inferior". As I said, if we're going to talk about revs, then look at the rev range that Audi's max tq can be achieved at. (1500-6250rpm).

Regarding hp/l, I dont think the Audi is puting out 580bhp, I think it is around 600bhp based on what I've heard. However, even if we go with the official numbers, 116hp/l is still respectable. BMW's official figures for their 3.0TT is 100hp/l and for their 4.4TT V8 in the new X6 is 90hp/l. Saleen's V8TT is 7l and it achieves 107hp/l and the Veyron achieves 125hp/l.

Audi's V10TT also comes with FSI tech etc. and as I said if we're going to talk about engine finesse, just look at some of the comments on it such as Tiff Needels

As as I said, I think it really depends on what you're looking for. Let's not forget nothing can change the fact that Audi has produced a more powerful engine than BMW's V10 yet it is still more economical. In the real world, that might count for a lot more

I think you are missing the point..... Audi can't achieve the 580 hp without turbo charging which is generally not as view as elegantly as atmospheric engines.

BMW could build a nitro-methane top fuel engine but what's the point.

Fact is Audi's V10 TT is way inferior to the BMW V10 in terms of technology. Don't confuse that with output.