Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouggyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Hello E90ers, it's been a while! Strange issue with my auntie's BMW this afternoon so hoping for your thoughts...

It's a 2010 E90 LCI 325i, 6spd Step, low mileage (13,500mls). M Sport, Pro Nav, Xenons, Elec Folding/Dimming/Heated/all singing all dancing mirrors.

Came out to go to lunch with the family and rallied up my F30 whilst the only response her 325i gave to the unlock button was a beeping alarm, no hazards, no lights, no door unlock - completely dead apart from the alarm.
Manually unlocked the drivers door with the key, with the alarm intermittently sounding and got inside, no power at all. No red light next to the "P", no illuminated Start/Stop button, nothing at all. Put the key in the slot but absolutely dead apart from the alarm - not even the red light under the mirror was flashing!

So after a few more minutes of poking and prodding it, we decided to sod it, the alarm stopped sounding and we took their other car to go for lunch. A 2006 Fiesta if you're interested!

With it being very low mileage and often doing short runs, I fully expected the battery to be dead, though apparently it did not throw any warnings prior that the battery was in a low state of charge.

So just half an hour ago (10:30pm) taking the dog for walk, I noticed the red light under the mirror was flashing in the usual locked manner again! I grabbed the keys, it unlocked, the auto lights came on, all completely normal! Got in, it started straight up, iDrive boots, Xenons on, like nothing happened. Took it for a decent drive, all faultless. And it reminded me just what a joy the E90 is to drive! The M Sport suspension on 19's fidgets like f**k over the bumps but that hydraulic steering is just an absolute pleasure. And though a silly engine (for the UK especially) it's beautiful sounding and elegantly smooth - can't beat a straight 6 on those merits! Anyway...

The only indications something went wrong were a date/time warning as it had lost it and also the average MPG, MPH, etc values were reset. On the iDrive, the Check Control message centre in the Vehicle Information menu showed an orange alert saying the battery had been disconnected and date/time has been lost.

Needless to say, the battery hasn't been disconnected and the car hasn't been moved at all.

I kinda wish it was just the battery that had run out of charge as it seems something more sinister is going on! But what is it? Can you help at all?

Cheers!

There are endless possibilities when it comes to electrical issues, but my approach would be try and get this to happen again. You said the Start/Stop button did NOT illuminate? If I have this happens the first thing I do is unplug the IBS then try again. Then I would want to check the battery. Not just measuring voltage, but an actual battery test. We always use a Midtronics which can detect a dead or damaged cell & give a read out of the actual CCA available. Im sure you could use an old carbon pile tester also, but I havent used one of those since high school! Was your Aunties vehicle one that got the infamous battery cable recall? If you dont know, send me the last 7 of the VIN & I can check on warranty repair history. The usual reason for the time/date being reset is that the info the DME got from the IBS said the battery was at the minimum SoC for starting so it turned off KL30g_f. Or maybe that was only on E60s, I cant remember. Sorry this is kind of hard when the vehicle isnt in front of me.
Thanks for that reply! I can't get the car to do it again annoyingly...

I'll have a look at the IBS, is that the blue wire on the negative terminal of the battery itself?

The car is a UK model, wasn't the battery cable recall only Stateside? I'll go out shortly and find the VIN anyway.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0