View Single Post
      02-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #21
bluecrab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive E90 LCI

I know I'm coming into this conversation late... 8 months late... but I want to throw my $0.02 into the mix.

I have been a long-time 5D Mark II owner. I used the camera for pretty much everything, but its huge downfall was autofocus in low-light. Worse, was autofocusing on a moving subject in low light. And one of my applications was photographing dancers in low light using flash. Even with the AF beam assist activated on the 580EX-II, I would miss so many shots it wasn't funny. Oh, and I couldn't use the center AF point, because I was shooting in portrait orientation and wanted to focus on the dancers faces. So that meant shifting the AF point to one of the edge non-cross type focus points. Truly a recipe for disaster.

Now, I just now sold the 5D Mark II and upgraded to the 5D Mark III. Let me just say that the 5D Mark III is a dream to work with! I can now set a cluster of AF points right on the dancer's face. Bam! Got the shot! With the 6D, I would have been in the exact same situation as the 5D Mark II... I would not have been able to use its excellent center AF point and I would have lost shots.

Moral of the story: I feel that the 5D Mark III is a superior all-purpose camera compared to the 6D. Yes, both have the same image quality, both have the same ISO, but the Mark III adds the best AF system on the market. Plus it shoots faster (6 FPS), has a faster flash sync speed (1/200), and a faster shutter (1/8000), and vastly superior video (if you're into that).

I'm not saying the 6D is a bad camera, actually it's a great camera... way better than my 5D Mark II. But now that I've been shooting with the Mark III there's just no going back to 11 AF points.

If money is an issue, then definitely go with the 6D. If you've got money to burn, the 5D Mark III is just better, IMHO.
Appreciate 0