View Single Post
      05-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #58
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Good discussion in this thread. Lots of great posts.

I don't agree w/ some ppl's thinking that it should have a long hood for long hood's sake. I never understood that supposed 'roadster' mentality: where was it written that a 'true' roadster must have a long hood and short trunk? Everyone knows that we could fit a V12 in the E89: it's ridiculously long and has a lot of wasted space. I personally don't care for the long hood. I prefer smaller cars, so I don't understand this BMW logic of making larger cars just for the sake of making them look a certain way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
To any BMW engineers that probably aren't reading this: The engines are perfect you don't have to screw with the too much. Focus on the steering, reducing the weight, and suspension.

To BMW designers: Don't f*ck with anything. Its perfect the way it is. If you must do something mess with the back; make it a little more like the old Z4.
Seriously you already have one of the best looking cars on sale. Don't take this as an opportunity to go revolutionary.
We have similar tastes. I personally love the E85 (it's a great, small machine). I love smaller cars and also agree that the back is better looking that the E89's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
It remains a mystery to me how BMW, known for its sporty character, has failed to produce an 'affordable' sports car. Sure, M3, M5/6 offer amazing dynamics that compete with most sports cars on the roads, but for the simple pleasures of small, simple sports cars, one needs to look to other brands. Z2??? PURE roadster simplicity? Let's hope!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Sales numbers have been lacking, because of price. It is very easy to spec out a 35i in mid $60k. That just is too much for that car. I remember end of last year, BMW had insane lease deals on the Z4.
The E89 is nearly disgustingly overpriced for what one gets. I've said it many times that I CAN'T stand how BMW puts the same engine in many cars: you have the same engine in the 1 and the 3 for way lower price (were talking 5 figures difference in some cases!)! At least put some engine upgrades if they want to charge a premium for owning a Z, but it's ridiculous. It's a huge price hike from the E85 which is only partly justified due to the better luxury and hardtop, but not justified at all for what one gets in terms of (handling) performance (heavy compared to E85; RFT; no LSD; steering could be better; no coupe option).

The exterior looks nice enough (although the roof could have been designed more coherently w/ the rest of the car), but the interior is only alright imo. I don't like those 4 circle things for the HVAC, esp the metal trim around them, not flush at all and they just don't mesh well w/ the aluminum dash at all. I still think that Audi interiors are better.

Don't get me wrong, I love my E89 despite the above nitpicking. After almost 2 years' ownership, I still turn back for a peek when walking away after parking it. For my $, it was the best decision for me in terms of the total combining factors of looks/performance/luxury/practicality.
Appreciate 0