View Single Post
      11-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #21
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I thought the general rule was to use both brakes at all times (...of course taking into consideration the fact that most of the braking duties are handled via the front brakes).
Many high performance and advanced street advocates would tell you to never use the rear brake at all! The problem is, at maximum braking, the rear will have almost no weight or even contact patch. In a panic situation, the tendency for rear brakers is to step down hard...and even a light rear brake in that situation is enough for the rear to break loose and swaps sides with the front. Plus when you get leaned over to knee dragging levels, if you are covering your rear brake, your boots will hit the pavement. OK, so stopping distances are slightly less when both brakes are used expertly in combination, is it worth swapping the front and rear end? Not IMHO.

FWIW, I've been riding high performance bikes on back roads for 15+ years and ranked as high as 3rd in my Mid-West CCS Expert region. I almost never used the rear brake, except perhaps to hold the bike on a hill. Some racing pros use the rear brake for some very specific on-track situations...when you get near that level feel free to do whatever you feel is best and that may include expert modulation of the rear brake. OK, now I do remember using the rear brake once at the track. I was bumped off the track on the rear straight by a fellow competitor doing about 120mph and the grass was very wet. I used the rear to slow down enough get back on track and make the corner.

Learn the right way now even if some well meaning but misguided MSF instructor teaches you rear wheel braking. If you can find a beater sport bike as I suggested and after you get some good seat time, I even would encourage you to practice locking up the front in an empty parking lot with wet pavement. Also, practice maximum braking in the dry using the front. As soon as you feel lockup (the whole front of the bike will start to tuck) release and reapply...think ABS. After long practice, you'll be able to feel the maximum braking point short of lock-up.
Appreciate 0