02-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #27
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Pretty accurate statement to me.

1. They live in the States, so they don't know what they're missing when it comes to high rpm, fast driving.
2. They don't understand engine torque equals acceleration, not horsepower; and gearing is a torque multiplier. The N54 has very respectable torque in terms of the motor only, but the overall gearing makes it yield much less than your car (much much less). Your car puts down measurably more torque to the pavement, which is why it's quicker; and being a NA motor with individual throttle bodies the throttle repsonse can't be matched. Plus your car is geared for a much higher top speed, and only rev limited in 6th gear.

Ultimately the cars are world's apart when you look at every aspect. That's not meant to be contentious, just the simple truth. There are many reasons why one would buy a 135i over a new M3, but "better" and "more fun" are not two of them. Comparing the two really makes no sense. You get what you pay for. No one in their right mind would take a 135i over a M3 if price weren't a factor.