View Single Post
      10-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #65
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbie View Post
edycol: In a perfect world where you could have two cars, would you take a RWD version of your car for track use? Or is the xDrive pretty good on track?

I ask because in my hunt for the perfect 328i I have some some that check every single box except they are xDrive, which I prefer not to have...unless it doesn't take away from driving feel.
Absolutely RWD.
It is not drive. Drive is good. Actually, you are faster in corners as you have 4 driving wheels.
It is everything else:
1. Maintenance. More parts to break down. Harder access to oil pan if gasket needs to be changed (and it will be). Harder to change water pump. You cannot use M3 control arms and thrust arm.
On xDrive you can only go poly bushings (which I will).
2. Transfer case maintenance. Fluid in TC in normal exploitation should be changed ever 50-60k. Track? Every 20-25k. It is DIY, but pain in a butt if no lift. Not to mention it is not unheard of for them to fail.
3. Understeer. It is there. Polyurethane bushings in rear helped. Going polyurethane in thrust arms will help I hope. But, you are packing front differential, axels in front. Then added weight of TC. I would say 200lbs compared to RWD, and of those probably 140lbs in front.
4. Sport package in RWD is having actual performance upgrades on suspension. On xDrive sport package is limited to interior and exterior. Suspension is base.

One benefit, and this is purely speculative, is that I read somewhere that oil pan in xDrive is much better for track use as it prevents oil starvation in hard left turns. Purely speculative!

I would wait honestly. I waited for a year until I stumbled on one I wanted. I didn't want iDrive, I absolutely had to have xenon lights and sport package (seats, steering wheel). But, bcs xDrive comes with base suspension, there is a lot of work to get it track ready to truly enjoy.
Appreciate 0