View Single Post
      02-24-2024, 10:19 AM   #4
mkeiser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 128i 6mt m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI-R View Post
IMO….(frame of reference is autocross/occasional daily, no track)…..

Until you’re completely hooked (or if you’re independently wealthy and just looking to spend money), I would simply go to the best pads I could and combine them with good fluid (flushed seasonally or if you ever manage to boil it). No need for special rotors.
This might be the way to go for me. Track days will realistically be few and far between. We have a track 2.5 hrs away but it's a bit intimidating to think about right now Autocross events seem much more approachable and affordable. So it might make the most sense to have a dedicated set of wheels/tires and pads for autocross/track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealwars View Post
How close are you to you-pull junkyards? If you're patient, you should be able to pick four calipers for ~$120.

I did a track day in my manual 128i. By the last session of the day I was cooking the oil (i pitted once I hit ~290) and the front brakes were smoking six laps (~9 minutes) into a 20-minute session. I'm an intermediate driver. If I decided to keep tracking I would add an oil cooler (probably also from a 335i) and do the upgrade you're considering.
This is good to know, thank you! I do have a junkyard close by that I regularly check inventory for but I've never seen them get a 335i on the lot. I will occasionally check eBay for the calipers as well.

What are you using to monitor oil temp? I've always wanted to toss in a e90 gauge cluster to get that oil temp gauge that some of them have...
Appreciate 0