05-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #50
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Yes you're definitely in the minority in regards to the sound of the AMG

I'm really curious why so many folks on here are so eager to defend BMW? My thinking (and I suspect a few auto journalists like Sutcliffe's thinking) is that the less enthusiam we show and the less we settle for the changes BMW is imposing on us, the more likely BMW will build a better car (competition version can't come soon enough). Today more so than ever consumers can shape the direction of a brand.

And let's not use regulations and emissions as a scapegoat because every other OEM has to play by the same rules and in fact the true measure is how OEMs adapt to the new rules while still keeping its core DNA.

Nobody is saying BMW didn't build a great car, what some are questioning is did they build the best car they could build? Still inconclusive of course.
I think you make several great points.

I think some (some, not all) choose to vociferously defend a certain brand or car is because they want to validate their individual purchase/investment (both from monetary and time/effort perspectives). If they can do that publicly, even better (more satisfying).

I never like to think that one car or model is categorically or universally better than another. I'll advocate for or defend any car that I either respect or personally enjoy, irrespective of brand.

If a particular car is not someone's cup of tea, that is perfectly fine. It's just a shame when someone has to put the rival car down to justify his (or her) selection. Think how absurd that really is - the mentality that "only the car I'm choosing is a good car." Now, the idea that "the car I'm choosing is right for me" seems much more rational.

So long as you enjoy the car you've selected, that's all that matters. You've won. How the car stacks up in comparison tests is fun for internet debates but "which car won what review or competition" will never be my determinative factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Nah, go hornet, at least that way you know who to blame every time you feel stung by looking at your car and wonder what the hell happened to your life that this became a sane option. If you need, I can give you a list of ready made excuses, that won't help at all, but they will make the pain lessen. The other method is an easy and known well in the north, and it is often contained in a bottle. If you would need my excuses, you probably would find the later as a good option too, since even I can't make any sense from this paragraph.

Coffee.
You deserve a coffee break and a tip of the hat after figuring out a way to incorporate the word stung in your post about the "hornet" color option. As always, well done.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0