View Single Post
      03-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #62
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I actually don't see the possible move to V6 being a problem at all. There is a lot of good reasons to go that route over inline6, for a start the engine will only be 2/3 the length of the inline6 so will be easier to balance the weight inside the front axle, the engine noise of a V6 is usually sweeter though a turbo or two will probably kill most of this lovely sound.

Another point is mounting the turbos in between the Vee ala X6 4.4 engine, less pipe work means less weight and quicker spooling.

In fact I can't see BMW going any other route than a Vee for the next M3.
There's nothing inherently wrong with a V6, sure. But I find a V6 for a BMW a terrible, horrifying and downright ridiculous idea.

Imagine Porsche replacing their flat 6 with a V6 for the next 911... It's kind of the same thing for me with BMW possibly dumping their inline 6.

A V6 for a BMW, any BMW for that matter, is just blasphemy.

I know a V6 is shorter and can be mounted lower. And sure it sounds good in some cars. It's just that a BMW must have an inline-6, if for no other reason than it being BMW tradition. Give me a longer bonnet to accommodate the engine, I'm fine with that. I don't care if the engine itself is a smidge higher than a V6 would've been either, I'd still have half a bank of a V12 under my bonnet (that has to count for something).

They've been singing the reasons for using an inline over a V for years, and so have their clientele. Why mess with something that obviously works?

I might be making a bigger deal out of it than it should be, but darn it, Porsche makes flat 6s, Subaru makes flat 4s, Ferrari makes V12s and BMW makes inline 6s. This V6 talk is upsetting the delicate balance within my automotive universe.
Appreciate 0