View Single Post
      04-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinSF View Post
We picked up the car on Thursday at the BMW Welt in Munich and I got to drive the car about 15 km to the dropoff point.

First off, European Delivery is SUCH a great experience, I would recommend it to anybody. It was easily the highlight of the trip, even for my wife. The Welt is amazing, and it was such an experience to pick up the car with a personal attendant.

My first question was if the N55 engine was less powerful than the N54, and if this 2011 335i would be as fast as my 2007 with the N54. The BMW representative assured us that it would be *faster*, with better mileage and better emissions...

... then she backtracked and stressed the better mileage and emissions. I got the impression that everyone at BMW is instructed to stress the efficiency and emissions over relative performance. At any rate, she wanted to assure me that the car is still fast.

It was my first and only time driving in Germany or the Autobahn, so I couldn't really open it up... besides, we had strict instructions to keep the RPMs below 4,500. Still, I was able to determine:

1. Even with the windows closed, the exhaust note seemsto be a LOT lower and grumblier than the N54. I don't think this engine is at all quieter than the N54, at least at idle and low RPMs. Since it was totally new, the idle was a bit rough, and it even stalled out on its own a couple times while driving down the ramp in the showroom. Yes, you literally drive the car out of the showroom on a special ramp yourself. Very cool.

2. On the road, the car does have significant torque, though I don't think that the thrust and oomph is as strong as in the N54. But the throttle response is better in that it has a instantaneous, immediate jump upon throttle input. It definitely must be the valvetronic, because that part feels a lot like the N52 engine that was in the 2006 330i (255hp). It feels jumpier and a bit revvier than the N54, at least upon initial throttle input. I really liked the N52 engine too, but felt that you had to flog it through the rev band somewhat to get really rapid acceleration.

3. Overall, the new N55 engine is definitely powerful enough. I wouldn't be surprised the new N55 cars aren't quite as fast as the N54s, but I wouldn't expect them to be too far behind. Since my engine was so new, it could still be a bit stiff, and I wouldn't be surprised if it limbers up and starts to perform better after several hundred miles. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened with the N54 when I first got it.

The interior features are almost exactly the same as before. I really like the new rims on mine (18" 342 rims on the non-M sport package). It was the first time that even our BMW associate had seen the rims. Otherwise, most exterior features and the entire interior remains almost exactly the same. The new LED eyebrow parking lights and rear LED brake lights are very subtle and nothing like the eyebrows on the new Audis. A lot of people don't like the new, wide front airdam on the new 335i coupes, and I can't say I'm wild about it either. But this body style is still one of the most attractive in BMW's lineup IMHO.
Good luck going back home
I am stuck in Munich for past 4 days, no idea when I will see my home...
Appreciate 0