View Single Post
      04-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
DaveinSF
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i coupe

Yes, we drove to the nearest dropoff point from the Welt, which is about 15km away. At least much of that distance is on the Autobahn. If you are going to get a car without iDrive navigation like I did, it would help greatly to have another person in the car to navigate like I did. BMW Welt does give a decent printout of driving directions to that dropoff point, and no dropoff reservations were required. I did it mainly because I wanted to try out the car immediately, and because if you don't drive it to a dropoff point yourself, BMW charges 60 Euros (cash only) to have someone drive it to the dropoff point for you.

I got back to the states last night and got to drive my N54 again last night and today. I didn't get to drive the new N55 enough to know for sure, but my first guess would be that the new N55s aren't quite as fast as the outgoing N54. I would also love to get some dynamometer test results for the new engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daixloxbmw View Post
congrats on your european delivery 2011 335i. so you just picked the car up and dropped it off immediately? how long did you stay? did you go anywhere else?

i had my 2008 335i european delivery as well. however, i drove the car for 8 days and over 1000 miles before i dropped it off in rome, italy. i would highly recommend keeping the car longer to drive through some of the european countrysides. i drove from munich on the autobahn, to zurich, to interlaken, through the swiss alps, to florence, then finally to rome. it was an awesome experience and i am looking forward to doing it again when i make up my mind on the 2011 335i.

right now, the debate between N54 and N55 is still inconclusive. i need cold hard numbers on a dyno. plus, i want to see what tuners can do with the N55 before making a decision. i need to know its tuning potential before i go with the N55.
Appreciate 0